Saturday, November 26, 2011

Keeping the Faith

As of this moment, my business has ceased to exist as I knew it. Everything has been flipped upside down and I'm doing my best to make sense of this mess. After watching my panini stand consistently decline in Rob's care, it was decided that deal or no deal, I was shutting it down. Each weekend he and his girlfriend spent there resulted in the further trailer trashing of my concept. I expected the menu to change, but I also expected my standards to upheld and sadly, they were not.

The final straw came last weekend when my husband and I were out of town for a wedding. I received a phone call from the inspector from the state inquiring about my process for canning my pasta sauces. I walked her through it and she told me she'd consult with her supervisor and get back to me. Five minutes later she called me back with the most devastating news I could have received at this time. I had to stop selling my sauces immediately and they all had to be removed from the shelf. Apparently, the complaint came from an inspector from the dept. of agriculture, who wanted to know about my canning process siting botulism as a potential hazard. Oh sure. Botulism, huh? My sauces have been on the shelves for over a year and my space has been subject to at least 4 inspections, but noooow we're concerned about botulism? Whatever.

The fact is that Grouchy, the dept. of agriculture inspector, has had it out for me from the beginning. After refusing to license me under her department, which would have cost a quarter of the price of the one I had to obtain from DBPR, she allowed some of her buddies at the market do what I do under her permit. No uber expensive additional permits required. She's been eyeballing my sauces since I brought them to the market and has made several snide remarks about them, so I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised. OH! But the timing! She put me out of business beginning Black Friday weekend! And in order to comply with the department of agriculture's requirement, it's going to be  a long process that's going to cost me a lot of money I don't have, which kind of sucks considering that the dept. of agriculture has essentially laid me off.

I have spent this entire past week researching what to do next and making phone calls between sobs and snot. My husband, CP, made a determination that come this weekend, our booth at the market would be an empty spot. I guess he wants to make a statement. After so many problems and circumstances that have relentlessly chiseled away at my bottom line, CP had enough. So we packed up the booth and got it all into a storage facility today. So no market booth and no sauces. At least I still have my meatballs, right?

So what's the plan? Well, we're going to start by sending the first group of samples to the labs for chemical analysis and to determine whether they are shelf stable. In addition to sending the samples, I am required to forward complete recipes (nooooooo) measured by weight with specific procedures for them to determine that my ingredients and processes are appropriate. Afterwards, we have to have HACCP (hazard analysis & critical control points) plans completed for each sauce. Once that is completed, we need to prepare a certified kitchen somewhere somehow solely for the purpose of production, and then we have to have the facility inspected by none other than Grouchy herself.

Are you tempted to go out and play in traffic yet? I think I'd be less gnarly and run over if I did. So the bottom line is that either I play by their rules or I don't get to play. But if I play by their rules and master it, my product will actually have a fighting chance of getting onto the shelves of some great local gourmet stores. Anything's possible, right?

Let me tell you something and listen (or read) carefully. Anyone who can make it through the muck with a clear conscience and an honest day's work and still be successful, deserves to be successful. This may be the land of opportunity, but the opportunities are not easy to get and sometimes you'll have to jump through hoops like a circus poodle to get anywhere. If you have a dream, go for it, but be prepared for monkey wrenches, disillusionment, disappointment, exhaustion, and frustration. But more importantly, whatever happens, never give up hope. It may be the only thing that will keep you going when you're ready to throw your hands in the air and quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment