Sunday, July 17, 2011

Drawing the Line

Today I was pushed beyond my limits. I lost my cool and was infuriated by the blatant disrespect of one of my employees. It's something that's been irking me for several weeks, with one offense after another. I've spoken to him about it only to have it all go in one ear and right out the other. The tardiness, laziness, cockiness, arrogance, combativeness, and lack of accountability, reliability, and responsibility, finally took its toll.

I resisted the urge to impulsively fire him on the spot on several occasions, but today's topper was when I was told that I wasn't in fact being disrespected, but I was interpreting that what was happening was disrespect when in fact it wasn't. Well, now you're fired. Interpret that.

It's liberating in a way, since I have always been concerned about what would happen if my "star" employee were to leave. He knows the operation inside out, but you know what? Who cares? I decided not to have my business held hostage by an 18-year old high school drop out.

No comments:

Post a Comment