Monday, April 25, 2011

Gratitude in the Hard Times

"Working to get out of debt? Prayer really works. You've got a Father who loves you like crazy, and he's rich." — Dave Ramsey

This quote stirred my soul this morning causing hot tears of anger and frustration to run down my cheeks. These past few weeks have been incredibly challenging for my business. A combination of snow birds heading back home for the season, spring break, and the Passover and Easter holidays created a void of foot traffic that we desperately need at the market. Adding to my stress is the fact that we just recently bought another vendor's ice cream business a couple weeks ago, which has done everything but lived up to our expectations thus far. So now we're rich in assets and cash poor, yet gas and food cost continues to rise, supplies need to be restocked, employees need to be paid, and of course, household bills are falling behind.

Apparently, this wasn't enough to keep me occupied, so the market's manager approved two new vendors who each focus on selling items that I already provide in the two ice cream booths we just purchased that aren't making any money yet. I'm not sure what's worse: knowing that at least one of them was doomed to failure before she even opened her doors for business or knowing that I fully intend to ask the manager to grant me her booth as soon as she does close her business, since I know it's inevitable. Don't judge me, it's not personal, it's business.

While all of this is happening, I can't help but wonder what is God's plan in all of this. I have faith that He has a plan, that it's good, that He's faithful and won't abandon me, and that He wouldn't burden me with something I couldn't handle, but I'm still scared. I want to be fearless, trusting, faithful, and optimistic, but sometimes it's so hard. I find myself dwelling in the should of, could of, would of's, and kicking myself for all the things I didn't do to prepare myself for the hard times when I had the opportunity. Now that I'm making a sincere effort to do everything the "right" way, there's not much to work with.

All this having been said, there's no better time to praise the Lord for all my blessings and be grateful for everything we have and even for some of the things we don't. I'm hopeful that things will improve and we'll eventually get to enjoy the fruits of our labor, but in the meantime I just needed to be reminded that I have a Father who loves me like crazy, He's rich, and He would love nothing more than to share His wealth with the children He loves. I love my Dad. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment