Thursday, April 21, 2011

Pet Peeves? I has them.

I could write a blog dedicated to all my pet peeves, but today I'm only going to discuss one, primarily because it's the one that pissed me off today. So, who's the evil offender you ask? SEMANTICS. I haaAAaAaaAAAte when people play semantics.

One of the many things that I've learned to tolerate at my farmers market is that the administration has requested that we refrain from selling the same items that other vendors sell with the exception of produce. After all, it's a farmers market. We're supposed to have lots of produce, although I'll be the first to admit that we don't. Hence, the irony of being called a farmers market, but let's not get into semantics.

Anyhoo... at the risk of sounding like one of my colleagues who is constantly whining that everyone is doing what she's already doing despite the "rule", it appears that everyone is doing what I'm doing despite the "rule". Ok, so not everyone is doing what I'm doing, but still. There's enough people who are to irk me. I make paninis, so the guy who's supposed to sell bread and pastries is now selling paninis (Do I sell bread and pastries? Noooooo). I sell crepes, so two weeks after I started my crepe station, a new vendor entered the market with a crepe station (mine are waaaaay better). I sell popsicles and purposely have two spots selling ice cream and popsicles to avoid having another competitor, yet today, a new vendor was setting up to sell popsicles.

Oh wait. Allow me to correct myself.  According to my husband they weren't popsicles, they are frozen fruit on a stick. We sell ice cream. I reminded him that popsicles are not limited to dairy. He insisted that ice cream is not the same as frozen fruit on a stick, but that they're selling something just like the coconut and strawberry popsicles we have in the freezer. So wouldn't that be a flippin' popsicle??!

You can call it fruit on a stick all day, but it's a frozen fruit, sugar, and water mixture that was poured into a popsicle mold with a stick shoved into it... and that's the definition of a freakin' popsicle!! So as CP and I had this heated debate as we stood in line at McDonald's (if he rolled his big googly eyeballs at me one more time, I was going to poke them out with my finger), I actually had to pull the Chef card on him and tell him that I'm a chef and I know an effin popsicle when I see one and that I'm sure the market's manager is smart enough to know the difference, too, so cut the semantics!

Just so you know, I gave up profanity and playing my stupid games on Facebook for lent. I have RUINED my profanity promise throughout this entire week due to annoying people and my pet peeves, so I guess I may as well go play some stupid games on Facebook now.

No comments:

Post a Comment