Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Hi. My name is...

I'd like to think that everyone is entitled to have a little space to write about whatever meanders through our minds. Well, there's a lot of meandering thoughts in my mind that are begging to be released. I'm not really sure whether I'm writing this to entertain my readers (if I ever get any) or myself, but either way, hopefully we'll all enjoy the ride.

I guess it's time to go around the circle and introduce ourselves to the group. I'm a chef and I do some independent catering, but lately my main gig has been running a few booths at a local farmers market. As a result, regular exposure to interesting characters comes with the territory. My arch enemies are the French Canadians, but we'll get into that some other time. It's only a matter of time before another one pisses me off and I'm ranting about it. I'm married to a big hairy Cuban-American (I had to add the "-American" because he gets pissy when I tell him he's Cuban) that we'll refer to as CP, and we have two fat gray cats, Sasha and Chloe.

I love my kitties. CP likes to pretend they annoy him, but he loves them, too. I picked up Sasha off the streets long before I met my hubby, so he's learned to tolerate him, but now they're best buds. However, he particularly resents Chloe because I adopted her from a shelter while he was in Cuba during a 17-day trip from hell he took with his father and grandfather. Some of his last words before he left on the trip were, "No new animals.", so of course I allowed a friend to convince me that Chloe would make the perfect addition to the family. It's been over a year and half and CP's still a little miffed, but surely he'll get over it by the time I sneak a dog into the house.

You ought to know that I am a struggling Christian. Allow me to clarify that... I'm not struggling with my faith, I'm crystal clear in that department. Instead, I struggle with my thoughts and my mouth. Boy does my mouth get me in trouble. One of my guilty pleasures includes politics. It's disgusting, I know, but I can't help myself. I try not to watch or pay attention, but I can't help it so I inevitably get engrossed in stupid debates. It's like trying to ignore the car accident on the shoulder of the highway - not possible. Naturally, since the Lord has a brilliant way of teaching me patience and has a unique sense of humor to boot, I'm a conservative surrounded by liberals. I'm convinced that one day they'll all see the light and acknowledge that I'm right about everything, but until then, I'll love them despite their flawed political understanding. Just kiiiiddddiiinng. Ok. Fine. I'm not.

I thank you in advance for reading and bearing with me as I wing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment