Friday, June 10, 2011

I Am What I Am

I've struggled with this and hate to admit it, but I think I'm an asshole. Have you ever met one of those super cheerful bubbly Christians? Well, I know plenty of 'em and comparing apples to apples... let's just say I'm a tart granny smith to their sweet red delicious variety. Sure I can come off as being very friendly and it's typically at least 95% authentic. Don't judge me, I work in hospitality and sometimes I have to be nice even when I'm not in the mood.

May God forgive me, but I can be so mean at times. Let's start with the road rage. Is there any one in South Florida I haven't flicked off or yelled at from the safety of my car with the windows rolled up? Mind you, I do this while listening to my favorite Christian music channel on my satellite radio. How often have I cut people off or refused to let someone cut in front of me? In my defense, though, you can't tell me you haven't let someone cut in front of you only for them to slam their brakes at the yellow light. Since when does yellow mean stop? It means go, go, GO FASTER you moron! But I digress...

Oh, and my poor customers. Some of you just make it so easy to mess with. Of all people, my customers should at least be untouchable by my jerkiness (I don't care if it's not a word, just go with it). But what am I supposed to do when I offer someone a sample and they respond, "I cook.". Oh c'mon!! Am I not supposed to respond with something snarky even if only the little voices inside my head hear it? 

Should I even mention my profanity? I can't help myself, it's a curse. I try so hard to watch my language, but all it takes is listening to 2 minutes of any given Obama speech and it's only a matter of seconds before a boisterous, "WTF is he talking about??!", comes flying out of my mouth. And let me clarify, I don't abbreviate when I'm talking out loud.

So. What do I plan to do about this? Well, last night I began by allowing someone to pass in front of me. Also, I didn't flip out even when some chick decided to leave her cart full of her extreme couponing gerber jars in the middle of the aisle at the grocery store. She even copped an attitude with me after I asked her oblivious husband to excuse me and patiently waited before beginning to move the cart to the side myself so I could pass before she snatched it and moved it herself (boy was she pissed, I heard her tearing her hubby a new one at the cash register).

Overall, the plan consists of just making an effort to be nice and courteous even towards fellow assholes. This is going to be tough, especially since some of the meanest things are the thoughts that go through my head that few are ever privy to, but I know. I knooow.

No comments:

Post a Comment